Sunday 5 January 2014

The Hand Off

Soooooo I do other things aside from being a nerdy person.

I'm a Scout leader well I'm a Beaver Leader so I get to run around with 5-8 year olds, do crafts, games and create general chaos. (All super fun-times.)

Let me tell you I was never going to get into this I was going to go to school for Music and I was going to teach High School. My fantastic friend schemed, plotted and decided that  I needed to work with younger youth and convinced me to God forbid run a Beaver Colony...

It's been hectic, stressful, crazy, loud, and a whole bunch of organized chaos and seriously that is just the leaders... It's also been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life! I've learned more from these kids than I was ever able to teach them. They helped me grow up this year and become an adult, which is a feat on its own. It's a different experience when you are responsible for children that go up to mid-thigh, they scream, they sometimes cry, fall down, fight, but they laugh without care, they tell you what they really think and they are free from many things.

I had to hand over the Beaver colony this December because I was no longer able to keep up with my duties and move away to school. I left it in good hands but I still feel a deep sadness for having to leave these kids. This is purely selfish because I think that they are the greatest, and were the brightest part of my weeks.

At our holiday party we made icing covered gingerbread men... and I really do mean COVERED. Giving kids sugar apparently leads to icing everywhere, who knew? Well I did but I didn't tell my fellow leaders that. Though in my defense I did warn them about small rolly things!

We had an absolute blast playing games, decorating cookies and singing songs. I'll miss them all terribly but when I come back I'll be able to watch what they've grown into as well as be able to better teach and mold younger ones.


No comments :